Strategies to prevent cancer are in the interest of everyone. Experts say “we cannot treat our way out of cancer – WE MUST TRY TO PREVENT IT”.
The general guidelines are:
- don’t use tobacco
- eat a healthy diet – plenty of fruits and vegetables
- maintain a healthy weight
- if you choose to drink alcohol, do so only in moderation
- limit consumption of processed meats
- be physically active
- use effective sun screens and limit exposure to sun
- be self-aware and seek medical advice if you notice any changes in your body.
- Avail of screenings and blood tests for various types of cancers – for example, cancer of the colon, cervix, breast and prostate. With early discovery, treatment is most likely to be successful.
- Get regular medical care
Take cancer prevention into your own hands. It is your health and “health is wealth”